Thursday 19 February 2015

Off to the Burmese Border tomorrow..

7.01am start and apparently The Rally have been given special permission to use a brand new road (not yet finished or opened to Joe Bloggs yet)

We will be spending our 1st night in Burma at 'The Strand' lol in Mawlamyine.

Doesnt sound as if internet will be much good so this may be our last post....



Mawlamyine was the first capital of British Burma between 1826 and 1852 after the Tanintharyi (Tenassarim) coast, along with Arakan, was ceded to Britain under the Treaty of Yandabo at the end of the First Anglo-Burmese War.[5]

It is probably best known to English speakers through the opening lines of Rudyard Kipling's poem Mandalay:

"By the old Moulmein pagoda
Lookin' lazy at the sea
There's a Burma girl a-settin'
and I know she thinks o' me".

Mawlamyine is also the setting of George Orwell's famous 1936 memoir Shooting an Elephant. The essay opens with the striking words:

"In Moulmein, in Lower Burma, I was hated by large numbers of people—the only time in my life that I have been important enough for this to happen to me."

Mawlamyine here we come.....


Strange creature waving at us tonight lol





l

1 comment:

  1. I'll be waiting for you on 'the other side' ... lol

    t ..

    ReplyDelete